Tuesday 31 July 2007

20 Years Ago this Month

It's now been 20 years since the release of Appetite for Destruction. Like myself, many people grew up with this album and the roller coaster ride that was Guns n' Roses back in the late 80's and early 90's. Anyone have any interesting memories of the album and the times?




This was the original artwork for the album as inspired by Robert Williams. It had to be replaced by the more familiar one (above right) as MTV refused to play their videos until it was gone. It didn't goo far however, it ended up on the inside artwork!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember walking into XtraVision in Phibsboro about 8 years ago, tripping off my head, and hearing the "panties round your knees with your ass in the breeze" bit of Anything Goes on the shop stereo and about a million memories of the listening to the album as a twelve year came flooding back all at once.

It's now played at least once at every party.

love it. stonewall classic.

Le Catch said...

Ha ha! Great story!

Anyone catch the 2 Many DJ's set from ELectric Picnic last year? They opened up with Welcome to the Jungle....classic!

Critical Junk said...

I don't have any Guns and Roses stories....what I hear I like I guess but I've never really taken them very seriously (shock horror) I think it's because the November Rain video is so outrageous in an epically tacky kind of way. I play Sweet Child Of Mine and Paradise City a lot on the radio, but only because they get requested, in fairness they are quite rockin'and now that I think of it Welcome To The Jungle is pretty cool....hmmmm....maybe I am a fan after all...!

Le Catch said...

I think a great way to get into them is to see them live...there is a great video of the Use Your Illusions tour taken in Paris which will get you hooked!

ScotchCait said...

i so should have called my blog aaraptureponies, then when i everntually got on anyones list id be at the top! doh!

UnaRocks said...

rrrrrrrrrrwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwk